At AdvancED, our mission is to lead and empower the education community to ensure that all learners realize their full potential. We do this by driving education improvement through accreditation, research and innovation, policy and advocacy, and technology. Through our longevity and expertise in the field of accreditation and school improvement, we have developed a powerful network of relationships, research and resources unmatched in the education arena.
If you are a member of the media and you need assistance with telling an education-related story, developing additional story ideas, connecting with educational experts and professionals, obtaining education-related information based on specific data points, and much more, please contact Mariama Jenkins.
AdvancED and Measured Progress to Merge
Dr. Mark A. Elgart serves as the founding president and chief executive officer for AdvancED. Elgart is an international leader dedicated to helping stakeholders make decisions and take actions to improve the quality of learning experiences for every learner. AdvancED drives education improvement through accreditation, research and innovation, policy and advocacy, and education technology solutions serving more than 36,000 institutions and 20 million students worldwide.
Elgart works closely with government agencies and other leading education-focused organizations to help establish the policies, strategic vision, and actions to propel and transform the learning experience so that every learner is prepared for the rapidly and ever changing global world.
Elgart’s professional experiences include several years as a mathematics and physics teacher as well as an administrator at the middle and high school levels including seven years as a middle school principal. Elgart earned a bachelor’s in mathematics from Springfield College, a master’s in education from Westfield State College, and a doctorate in education from the University of Massachusetts. Elgart is the author of numerous articles and whitepapers including Meeting the Promise of Continuous Improvement and Designing State Accountability Systems for Continuous School Improvement: A Call to Action.
Motivation comes from:
My motivation each and every day is driven by the possibility that my actions and contributions could positively impact the life of a child. As a parent and former teacher, I know from personal experience how in one special moment an educator can change a child for a lifetime.
Case Studies & White Papers
- Examining Learning Environments: Results from AdvancED's Classroom Observation Tool
- Norris County School District
Social Media Outlets
AdvancED Key Facts:
- Registered non-profit and non-partisan organization.
- Largest community of PreK-12 education professionals in the world.
- Conducts rigorous, on-site external reviews of PreK-12 institutions to ensure continuous improvement.
- Provides accreditation and continuous improvement resources to PreK-12 institutions.
- Serves 36,000 institutions that employ more than 4 million educators and enroll more than 20 million students.
- Represents schools and school systems across the United States and 70 other nations.
- Receives stakeholder survey data based on parent, student and educator feedback. (11,925,000 surveys over the past three years)
- Created through a 2006 merger of the PreK-12 divisions of North Central Association Commission on Accreditation and School Improvement (NCA CASI) and The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Council on Accreditation and School Improvement (SACS CASI).
- Expanded in 2011 with the addition of the Northwest Accreditation Commission (NWAC).