Project Manager II
Project Manager II
The Project Manager II is responsible for the direction, coordination, execution, implementation, control and closing of assigned product development related projects in alignment with company strategy, goals, methods, and commitments. Projects may vary in size of scope and budget and may have moderate complexity, uncertainty and change. Project managers are typically assigned to specific areas where domain knowledge is necessary (i.e. Product Development, Data Management, etc.).
Major Duties and Responsibilities
Ensure that appropriate project management methods are utilized so that assigned projects are completed within the approved scope, time, and cost.
Lead or participate in initiatives around standardization and continuous improvement of project management practices.
Utilize formalized and standardized project management processes, tools and techniques (e.g., scheduling, communications, change management, status reporting, etc.) to achieve the products, services, or results that the project was undertaken to produce.
Identify and define strategic and business purpose of assigned projects.
Monitor and manage project activities to achieve project and product deliverables to ensure strategic alignment.
Manage increasingly complex client and stakeholder expectations regarding project scope, schedule, deliverables, risks, issues and project activities as well as manage progressive elaboration to remove uncertainty during the course of the project.
Maintain effective team and stakeholder working relationships, communications, and project management processes.
Monitor and control performance of vendors and subcontractors, and ensure they are familiar with organizational procedures and expectations as well as deliverable requirements and acceptance criteria.
Manage all phases of the project from Initiation through Planning, Execution, Monitoring & Controlling, and Closing, including development and maintenance of: charter/business case, project scope, schedules, costs, risks, management of changes and related communication.
Lead and facilitate effective project meetings (internal and external) with clear/concise purpose, objectives, agenda, and document and communicate results including risks, actions, issues, and decisions.
Work with product owners and stakeholders as project manager or team leader on multiple projects concurrently.
Demonstrate open and effective communication within the department, with other entities within the organization, and with external stakeholders.
Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree and four (4) years of project management experience in a related field, or an acceptable equivalent combination of related education, and project management training and experience. This includes experience in both project management and the assigned domain area (i.e. Product Development, Data Management, Information Technology, etc.). Educational Technology experience preferred. Knowledge and application of PMBOK practices required. Project Management Professional (PMP) certification preferred.
- Proven record of success in managing projects in an agile development environment.
- Client/stakeholder engagement management skills; ability to define, develop and deliver appropriate communications in collaboration with project sponsors and leadership.
- Working knowledge of project governance, project management methodology and execution; contribute to developing and implementing project/program management methodology.
- Working knowledge of process improvement methodologies (such as Six Sigma) and maturity models (such as CMMI).
- Strong verbal and written communications and negotiation skills.
- Open to change and new information; adapts behavior or work methods in response to new information, changing conditions, or unexpected obstacles; deals with ambiguity.
- Makes sound, well-informed, and objective decisions; perceives the impact and implications of decisions; commits to action, even in uncertain situations, to accomplish project goals; causes change.
- Shows the ability to influence and motivate team members; can adapt leadership styles to a variety of situations.
- Experience with SharePoint, Jira, Aha, Smartsheets and/or other project management tools in addition to the Microsoft Office Suite (i.e. Microsoft Project, Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Visio).