At AdvancED, our mission is to lead and empower the education community to ensure that all learners realize their full potential. We do this by driving education improvement through accreditation, research and innovation, policy and advocacy, and technology. Through our longevity and expertise in the field of accreditation and school improvement, we have developed a powerful network of relationships, research and resources unmatched in the education arena.
If you are a member of the media and you need assistance with telling an education-related story, developing additional story ideas, connecting with educational experts and professionals, obtaining education-related information based on specific data points, and much more, please contact Mariama Jenkins.
Dr. Mark A. Elgart currently serves as the founding President and Chief Executive Officer for Advance Education (AdvancED), the parent organization for the North Central Association Commission on Accreditation and School Improvement (NCA CASI), Northwest Accreditation Commission (NWAC) and the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Council on Accreditation and School Improvement (SACS CASI). Under his leadership, AdvancED is recognized as a leader in achieving educational quality. AdvancED drives education improvement through research and innovation, policy and advocacy, technology, and accreditation serving over 32,000 institutions and 20 million students worldwide.
Elgart is responsible for leading the development and implementation of the new, innovative "AdvancED Performance Accreditation” model, as well as the nationally acclaimed "AdvancED School System Accreditation" model. Through his leadership, accreditation has been transformed into a systems-oriented process that focuses on institutional performance with respect to Standards of Quality, student performance in all program areas and learner and stakeholder engagement.
Elgart is active and influential in helping policy leaders at the state and national levels shape and enact policy related to educational quality, continuous improvement and accountability. In July 2011 and 2013, he was recognized by the Atlanta Business Chronicle as one of the 100 most influential people in Metropolitan Atlanta. He is also a national and international trainer and presenter on the topics of accreditation, school improvement, leadership and accountability in education. Elgart currently serves on the Board of Directors of the Knowledge Alliance and Measured Progress as well as a National Advisor for Learning Forward. Elgart also represents AdvancED as a lead business partner with the Council of Chief State School Officers (CCSSO).
Elgart is the author of numerous articles and whitepapers including Meeting the Promise of Continuous Improvement and Designing State Accountability Systems for Continuous School Improvement: A Call to Action.
Motivation comes from:
My motivation each and every day is driven by the possibility that my actions and contributions could positively impact the life of a child. As a parent and former teacher, I know from personal experience how in one special moment an educator can change a child for a lifetime.
Case Studies & White Papers
- Examining Learning Environments: Results from AdvancED's Classroom Observation Tool
- Norris County School District
Social Media Outlets
AdvancED Key Facts:
- Registered non-profit and non-partisan organization.
- Largest community of PreK-12 education professionals in the world.
- Conducts rigorous, on-site external reviews of PreK-12 institutions to ensure continuous improvement.
- Provides accreditation and continuous improvement resources to PreK-12 institutions.
- Serves 32,000 institutions that employ more than 4 million educators and enroll more than 20 million students.
- Represents schools and school systems across the United States and 70 other nations.
- Receives stakeholder survey data based on parent, student and educator feedback. (11,925,000 surveys over the past three years)
- Created through a 2006 merger of the PreK-12 divisions of North Central Association Commission on Accreditation and School Improvement (NCA CASI) and The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Council on Accreditation and School Improvement (SACS CASI).
- Expanded in 2011 with the addition of the Northwest Accreditation Commission (NWAC).